Graduate Temporary Visa
Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
The Temporary Graduate subclass 485 visa is a work visa for international students who have completed 2 years of study in Australia. It can last from between 18 months and 4 years depending on your situation.
It is a good way to extend your stay in Australia to improve your chances of becoming eligible for a permanent or provisional skilled visa.
The primary applicant must be in Australia when they make their application for a 485 visa and must have held an eligible student visa within the 6 month period prior to lodgement.
Please note there are some amendments in eligibility criteria for subclass 485 due to COVID 19.
Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) & COVID-19
The amendments provide concessions to visa requirements and conditions where the impact of COVID-19 would otherwise prevent or disrupt visa holders and applicants from meeting them.
The amendments include changes to:
- allow applicants to apply for a Subclass 485 visa while in or outside Australia during a concession period
- allow applications to be made outside Australia during a concession period without the usual requirement that a student visa have held within the six month period immediately before making the application
- extend the period to meet the Australian Study Requirement from 6 months to 12 months for applicants prevented from returning to Australia due to COVID-19 travel restrictions during all or part of the period commencing on 1 February 2020 and ending on 19 September 2020
- allow applicants to be granted a Subclass 485 visa while in or outside Australia during a concession period
- allow applicants that applied for a Subclass 485 outside Australia during a concession period to be granted a subclass 485 visa in or outside of Australia even if the concession period has ended.